The updated objectives for the period until 2020 are presented in this annual report. The key figures from the past have been added whenever possible.
Diversity in top management
Women in top management
Energy consumption (GJ)
- To formulate an approach for achieving environmental objectives that will be different for each country. This strategy must be in line with the specific local challenges and relevant legislation and regulations in each country.
- To proactively take responsibility for the obligation to endeavour to work with its strategic suppliers to make the chain more sustainable.
- To make an active contribution in the sector and in the chain in order to attain a design for recycling. To seek to work together with both internationally recognised research centres and forerunners in the field of Research & Development.
Design for recycling
The company recognises both the urgency and importance of recycling high-quality raw materials. Progress must be made in the following areas in order to achieve results in the upcycling of primarily mattresses:
- Production using only recyclable raw materials or to the greatest extent possible.
- Creation of high-quality applications for these raw materials at the end of the lifecycle.
These are ambitious objectives that can only be achieved through active collaboration with both the sector and the chain. The Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs and the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment have explicitly designated the mattresses sector as a sector that must develop policy and achieve clear progress in the field of sustainability in the years ahead.
In addition to the above, Beter Bed Holding carries out an active good housekeeping policy that enables maintaining and when possible improving the scores on the different objectives that have been achieved in the past years. This relates to matters including:
- Having all strategic suppliers sign the code of conduct.
- The quality of the recycling process. This involves first of all the take-back of the packaging materials when delivering goods to customers. Waste is also separated as much as possible before being sent to waste processing companies.
- Absenteeism due to illness must be lower than the average of the comparative group that is different in each country.
- The absence of fines relating to environmental legislation, consumer interests and human rights.
- Newly purchased trucks must always be in the highest energy-efficiency category.
The company will comply with the principle global guidelines and standards in the field of CSR. The code of conduct is in line with both the OECD guidelines and the agreements made by the ILO.